Sunday, September 12, 2010

Review of Killing Floor by Lee Child


Killing Floor (Jack Reacher #1) by Lee Child
536 Pages
Published 1997

From Goodreads:

From its chilling opening page, you know all is not well in Margrave, Georgia. The sleepy, forgotten town hasn't seen a crime in decades, but within the span of three days it witnesses events that leave everyone stunned. An unidentified man is found beaten and shot to death on a lonely country road. The police chief and his wife are butchered on a quiet Sunday morning. Then a bank executive disappears from his home, leaving his keys on the table and his wife frozen with fear. The easiest suspect is Jack Reacher - an outsider, a man just passing through. But Reacher is not just any drifter. He is a tough ex-military policeman, trained to think fast and act faster. He has lived with and hunted the worst: the hard men of the American military gone bad. When authorities learn the first victim was someone from Reacher's past, and he cannot convince them of his innocence, his patient self-defense becomes a raging crusade of revenge. With two cops who believe in him - a thoughtful black detective and a woman named Roscoe - he closes in on a ruthless conspiracy hiding behind Margrave's rural charm. But closing in on him is a team of killers so careful and efficient they are almost invisible. Step by step, the two teams circle - waiting to see which will be the first to walk onto the killing floor.

My thoughts:
I originally got a newer book from this series, not realizing it was a series, so I brought it back to the library so I could start with the first book. My cousin Mark said he read the whole series and loved it, so I was very optimistic and was not disappointed at all.

Jack Reacher was arrested for murder in the beginning of the book. He was just wandering along and got put in jail. The fingerprint officer at the jail was Roscoe, and she was very nice to Reacher. The man that Reacher was accused of murdering is someone he knows very well.

People were being killed and many people were involved. The murders were very gruesome. My stomach turned after I read what they did. I was surprised what all of the scandal led up to.

It did take me a while to read this book, but there was so much to it. There were many officers involved and a lot of searching and trying to figure out why people were being killed and who all was involved. I have to say that Jack Reacher is quite the character. He really knows what he is doing and does it well.

Gave this book 5 out of 5 stars!

1 comment:

  1. So glad that this was a 5 star read for you!! I may have some of these books on my shelves...I'll check when I get home!

    ReplyDelete