Thursday, October 20, 2011

Week With An Author - Daddy Rich - Interview - October 19, 2011

Daddy Rich Interview

About Your Book - Mack’s Revenge:

Cheryl: Describe your book in one sentence.

Daddy Rich: Dang, that’ s a hard one. “A fun and entertaining read—graphic and raw!”



Cheryl: How did you come up with the title?

Daddy Rich: The book, well at the end was all about Mack getting revenge. I had originally called it “All Hell Breaks Loose”. Winter Giovanni came up with the title for me.



Cheryl: Is there a message in the book that you want readers to get?

Daddy Rich: Yeah, there’s a couple. I want the youngstas to understand there’s only two ways out of the dope game—death or prison. I haven’t experienced death, but prison is lonely. It’s bullshit. The second message is for law enforcement. Everybody ain’t gonna just lay down and go to prison. Police plant evidence and lie on the stand all across the country. The shit I depict in my book be on people’s mind. Keep on. It will start happenin’ for real.



Cheryl: Are any parts of Mack’s Revenge realistic?

Daddy Rich: Yes, damn near all of it. Mack’s Revenge is based on my life. I take you from 2003 when I got my realtor’s license and was sellin’ cocaine to fund my real estate career all the way to 2005 when I was set up by the task force.



Cheryl: Did you have a favorite character in Mack’s Revenge, and why did you like that character?

Daddy Rich: Big Mack of course. He’s the narrator, and dude is funny as hell



Cheryl: If Mack’s Revenge had a theme song, what would it be and why?

Daddy Rich: Another hard one. “Hustlin” by Rick Ross because 90 percent of the book is about Big Mack getting’ his hustle on.



About Writing In General:



Cheryl: How do you begin writing a book? Do you start with an outline? Do you hand write anything or type it out?

Daddy Rich: I just go. I write down the characters and their roles. A couple key points and I roll out! I don’t want it to be too structured. I don’t want to be a predictable writer. When I begin to write, I don’t know the end yet. So, if I don’t know the outcome while I’m writing, the reader won’t know while they’re reading.



Cheryl: Do you have a certain writing style?

Daddy Rich: Yes, I write Gangsta-lit. It’s a style I created. I write in a Midwest slang. My narrator sounds like a regular dude off the street. I can’t stand those “up tight, uppity” narrators.

Cheryl: Are any of your books based on things that you have experienced in your life or the life of someone you know?

Daddy Rich: All of ‘em are. It’s either things I’ve experienced or witnessed. I base my characters off people I know. That’s why they’re so real. I mean, when people discuss my books, they speak about my characters like they’re real people. It’s because they are. That lets me know that I’m a good writer. People actually hate Beck Sue (one of the characters in Mack’s Revenge). To have the readers emotionally involved is a good thing.



Cheryl: Do you have any rituals that you use when you are writing or a certain place you go to get inspired?

Daddy Rich: Yep. When possible, I make sure I’m high as hell. And I bounce between the T.V. and the radio. If there’s nothin’ good on the radio, I’ll listen to the T.V. I just need some good background noise.



Cheryl: How many books have you written?

Daddy Rich: I’ve written 5 full length novels and 2 short stories. I just began working on my 6th novel. I’m co-writing a book with a fellow inmate. His name is James Green.



Cheryl: Did you have to do much research when writing your books? If so, do you tend to write first or research first?

Daddy Rich: No. I try to write about what I know. But occasionally, I need to have my wife look up a few things. I just jump in. I just do the research on an as needed basis.



Cheryl: What advice would you give to those aspiring writers out there?

Daddy Rich: Do it! Quit procrastinating! Pick up your pen and go!





About Your Reading:

Cheryl: Are you reading anything right now?

Daddy Rich: As a matter of fact, I am. I’m reading a book called Thick Face, Black Heart. It’s by Chin-Ning Chu. It’s about doing what you need to do to succeed and not givin’ a FUCK what people think about you. People who take off and try to be successful fall victim to all kinds of ridicule from people who are lesser. It’s what it is. Fuck ‘em.


Cheryl: What are some of your favorite books and authors?

Daddy Rich: The Quran, written by none other than Allah. From the Browder File: 22 Essays on the African American Experience (From the Browder File Series) by T. Anthony Browder. Street Dreams: A Novel by K’wan. The whole collection of Donald Goines, and “Shh….” Written by me. I promise I’m not bein’ conceited. I just love the book. I had a lot of fun writing it. I’ve actually read it several times for entertainment. Not to proofread or edit, to just read. And it kept my attention. I couldn’t believe I wrote it.



Cheryl: Has writing your own book changed the way that you read?

Daddy Rich: Yes, and I hate it. It’s hard for me to read a book for enjoyment. I study every book I read now. I dissect it. I try to find what I need to do to step my game up and be better. I’ve actually read some of the best selling urban fiction to see what it is that the readers love about their books. I’m trying to learn and master my craft. I believe that I am a best seller. I just gotta get my promotion and marketing together. Once I do that, I’m a shut shit down! And I’m trying to reach out to the promoters and find me an agent.



Cheryl: Are you able to read when you’re writing and if so what books inspire you when you’re working on a novel?

Daddy Rich: Naw, I don’t want any outside influences, and I’m a sponge. So I’m extra careful. I want to make sure all my shit’s original, authentic, so I won’t read any urban fiction while I’m writing.



Cheryl: Are there other books you love or writers you admire that are from your local area?

Daddy Rich: I’m the only one from my local area. I’m layin’ the path down.





Personal Information:



Cheryl: If you have to describe yourself with one word, what would it be?

Daddy Rich: Diligent because I go after my goals tirelessly. I won’t stop. If I can’t knock down the obstacles in my way, I jump over them or go around them. How many inmates start their own publishing and magazine companies? I’m trying to get it!



Cheryl: Where are you from:

Daddy Rich: I’m from a small dot on the middle of the map-- Marion, Indiana.



Cheryl: What three music artists are your favorite?

Daddy Rich: I don’t really have a favorite artist, but I do have favorite albums. I’d say Jeezy’s Thug Motivation mix tape, “Adrenaline Rush” by Twista and “Get Rich or Die Tryin’” by 50 Cent. I know you only asked for 3 but I can’t forget about “Ghetto Dope” by Master P.








Cheryl: What is one food item that you can’t live without?

Daddy Rich: Pussy, mmm good. I haven’t ate any in years and it’s killin’ me. It has to be nutritional, a baby grows in there. For real. But if I have to choose a food that you can throw in some grease, I’d have to say chicken. I love chicken.



Cheryl: What is your favorite color?

Daddy Rich: White. I love to wear white, and I’ve had several white cars.



Cheryl: How much time do you spend writing each day?

Daddy Rich: Too much. When I’m writing a book, I write around the clock. I mean, I only stop for naps and to eat. Plus, I write letters. I’m gonna catch carpel tunnel! LOL!



Cheryl: What famous person do other people tell you that you most look like?

Daddy Rich: No one really. But the other day me and some of the homies were crackin’ jokes on each other and they said I look like the lil dog on the Doritos commercial. The one that ran and knocked the glass door down.





Cheryl: What is the one thing about yourself that others would be shocked to know?

Daddy Rich: That I’m really laid back and down to earth. My name is Daddy Rich and I get money. People have this “image” of me like I think I’m too much, but I’m really down to earth. I’m easy goin’, and I have a good heart. I’m always tryin’ to help people.





Cheryl: Choose a book title for the story of your life.

Daddy Rich: “I done dug myself a hole” subtitled “And I’m tryin’ to climb back out” because I stay in my own way. I’m always fuckin’ shit up for myself. I’m my own worst enemy. I get myself in a hole and dig myself deep trying to climb out. Every venture I’ve created I’ve backed wit drug money. I always get locked up tryin’ to make it happen. This time I was already locked up when I created Gangsta-Lit, so I’m interested to see how this shit turns out. LOL!



Cheryl: What is next for you in 2011?

Daddy Rich: Books and more books. I’m trying my hardest to get some type of movie deal. I write movies. My books are vivid. I’m searchin’ high and low to turn my books into motion pictures.





Contact Information:

Cheryl: How can your readers contact you?

Daddy Rich: They can contact me @ Gangstalit on twitter and Facebook: Author Daddy Rich - friend me or they can write me directly at:

Richarh Tyson, 105754
5124 W. Reformatory Rd.
Pendleton, Indiana 46064
 
SEND HIM SOME FAN MAIL! - CHERYL
 
 
I’d love that. I been waitin’ on my first piece of fan mail. If you write, please be sure to include a stamped envelope. In ink stamped envelope. If it’s the stick on kind I can’t have it. These people are scared somebody can sneak acid in like that.



Cheryl: Is there anything you would like to add?

Daddy Rich: Buy my book. It’s very entertaining and raw. It’s a breath of fresh air. I promise you ain’t read nothin’ like it before. Support my cause. I’m writing to raise money to fight my case. I was set up by the task force and a lot of my rights were violated. Freedom ain’t free. I gotta get me an aggressive ass lawyer.





Cheryl: Thank you very much for taking the time out to answer my interview questions!

Daddy Rich: And thank you for sending them.



You can visit his website at Gangsta-lit.com and buy his book!



© 2011, Cheryl of Black Diamonds Book Reviews . All Rights Reserved. If you reading this on a site other than, blackdiamondsbookrev.fatcow.com , Urban Image Magazine, or Cheryl's feed, be aware that this post has been stolen and is used without permission.

1 comment:

  1. He's definitely not short on personality. But you have to be aggressive to make it in this world. I wish him the best.

    ReplyDelete