Saturday, September 24, 2011

Meeting Author Shaka Senghor on 8/27/11 - Posted September 24, 2011

I went to the Fame Shop grand opening and met author Shaka Senghor.  I already read his book Crack Volume 1, but I bought a signed copy.  I also bought a signed copy of Crack Volume 2 which I haven't read yet.

It was so awesome meeting Shaka and his fiancee' Ebony.  I had so much fun!  I told Shaka I would help out since they were giving away food.  I asked what I can do to help after I got there.  They said their face painter wasn't there yet and I could paint faces.  I have never done that before, but I said I could try!  I had so much fun painting the faces of children and some adults!  I'm not a real artist, but the kids had a lot of fun which was the main goal!

Me and Shaka!
He is such an inspiration to the City of Detroit!  He is trying to make such a difference in the lives of his community members!
I also met his fiancee Ebony.  She is such a sweet person and soon to be a new mother!
At this event, I also finally  got to meet my facebook/blogging friend Orsayor Simmons for the first time! She is such a sweet person.  When I saw and talked to her, I really felt like I had known her for a long time and didn't just meet her.  I mean, we've talked back and forth on facebook and chat and e-mail, but seeing her in person was awesome!
And look at the books that she gave me (and this cool tote!)
Life Beyond Measure: Letters to My Great-Granddaughter by Sidney Poitier
uncharted terriTORI by Tori Spelling
A Taste of Chicken Soup for the Mother's Soul 2 by Carol Kline
Here are some more pictures from the event:


My girls and one of the children whose face I pained who is in the middle!




Me painting faces!


Fame Shop 1st Annual Joy Day
You Tube Video (done by a professional)



Here is the video that my 9 year old Meredith took. I just took clips from the videos and Flip Video did the rest! I had to cut out the parts where you could see the ground and the sky, etc. LOL!



© 2011, Cheryl of Black Diamond's Book Reviews. All Rights Reserved. If you reading this on a site other than, Black Diamond's Book Reviews, Urban Image Magazine, or Cheryl's feed, be aware that this post has been stolen and is used without permission

No comments:

Post a Comment