Sunday, May 16, 2010

The Pull of the Moon by Elizabeth Berg


I love Elizabeth Berg's books, and this one has to be my favorite of her books. I started this last night and finished it this morning. Nan is a 50 year old woman who writes a note to her husband and takes off on a journey to find herself. She just drives along and talks to people and tries to remember what it is in life that she really wants and likes.
Here are some of my favorite parts of the book:
p. 31 "And I began to cry because I had this thought about people, that they do this all the time, deny the wise voice inside them telling them the right thing to do because it is different.
p. 35 "Right", I said, and thought, how can it be that two strangers are exchanging such intimate things? Well, most women are full to the brim, that's all. That's what I think. I think we are most of us ready to explode, espcecially when our children are small and we are so weary with the demands for love and attention and the kind of service that makes you feel you should be wearing a uniform with "Mommy" embroidered over the left breast, over the heart."
p.114 " I wanted to get something special, a real treat, something I liked to cook and liked even more to eat, but everything I picked up, I put back. Finally I leaned against the dairy case and thought, well, come on, Nancy, what do YOU really like? And then I thought, my God, I don't know. I've forgotten.
It is so true that after you get married and have kids, you lose who you are and what you like. You are so used to doing what everyone else wants that you forget what you like and suppress your feelings to make everyone else happy.
I think every woman should be able to go on a journey like this, but not necessarily wait until 50 until everything builds up so much that you feel like exploding.
I know that I used to love to read, and thanks to Staci I have gotten heavy into reading again and it really love it. I also love music. I kind of let that go to the wayside. I was lucky enough to get free tickets to go see Third Eye Blind a couple months ago. Joshua James was the opening band who I had never heard of before. Now I just love Third Eye Blind and Joshua James and I have been wearing their t-shirts and listening to their music all the time, and it makes me happy. I am glad I have part of myself back again. Also, I am so happy I have a hairsylist that gave me such a cool hairstyle. My husband thinks it's weird, but I don't care. I love it and it's more me than any style I have ever had. It's different and it's good to be different.
5 out of 5 stars!

5 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you loved this one and I agree we should take this trip but not wait until 50 to do it. I'm excited to see your new do!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you have a personal connection to this one. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elizabeth Berg always tugs at my heart strings!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, my hairdo is pretty much the same, just darker! Mike said it looked like a skunk when I woke up this morning. Well he shaves his hair all off and I don't complain about that or tell him I wished he would grow it a little!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't even read e-books. What is this, some kind of advertisement?

    ReplyDelete