Monday, January 31, 2011

Book Review - Beater by Brian W. Smith

Beater (Modern Contemporary Fiction Po)

Beater

 
A young man has to deal with emotional and physical abuse inflicted upon him by his fiance.
Paperback, 224 pages
Published February 9th 2010 by Hollygrove Publishing

 Kim and Todd were brother and sister from the same mother, Linda.  They lived with her and Kennedy who is Todd's biological father.  This is something that really put a strain on Kim and Todd's relationship.   Kennedy had several children from other women and had to try to work to support all of his children.  He would get very violent with his wife.  She always told Todd to promise her never to hit a woman.   

Kim and Todd just couldn't get along because he accused her of not doing something that he told her to do, and he blamed her for something that happened.  She felt terrible and she had to get away from there.  Her and Todd didn't see each other for 10 years.

Kim gets a great new job and an apartment.  She is told that her new boss Rachel is a hard person to work for.  (It kind of reminded me of "The Devil Wears Prada".  She was that kind of a boss.)   She runs into her brother and really doesn't want anything to do with him.  Rachel decides to take Kim out to eat to kind of get to know her better, when who do they run into but Kim's brother Todd.  Rachel is very interested in Todd and they start dating.  Kim is worried because she doesn't want to get fired if things don't work out between them.  Todd has some friends that are kinda strange, but Bubba ends up really being a true friend and helping him out.  Rachel has some secrets in her life and Kim is determined to find out what is going on.

I was very surprised at the ending at what the secrets were and what happened at the end.  This book deals with real issues that people face.  I was very sad to read that the author grew up in a home where his father abused his  mother ,  but  I am glad to hear that she was a survivor of it.  I am lucky that I did not grow up in this type of environment.  I really appreciate the life I had growing up and feel really sorry for the people that have to go through domestic violence.   Brian Smith really writes about important issues that people face, and he did an excellent job writing this book.  I was glad to see that the book had some humor as well.  Kim and Todd's Aunt had three unique cats!  Brian W. Smith is becoming one of my favorite authors because his writing is very unique and keeps everything fresh and interesting.  This is one book that I didn't want to put down--it was that good!

5 out of 5 diamonds
Amazing Book!


Thank you to the author Brian W. Smith for sending me an autographed review copy.  I was not compensated for my review. 

My thoughts on this book were in no way influenced by the author or publicist.They are my personal reflections based solely on MY experience while reading this novel.

3 comments:

  1. I have heard so much about this authors novels. I will definite make sure to pick up my copy soon. now, deciding which ONE. hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, visit me at by blog www.sidnethebookclubreviewer.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one sounds like a good read with a great message.

    ReplyDelete