Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Review: The Year of Pleasures by Elizabeth Berg

Title: The Year of Pleasures
Author: Elizabeth Berg
Type of Book: Romance
Pages: 206


I saw this book on the shelf on my last trip to the library and thought it sounded like a good book to read, and it did end up being a good book.

Betta was married to her solemate John. He had cancer and died at the beginning of the book. Betta sells their home in Boston and travels to the midwest which is what John said she should do. This story is a glimpse into her life and what it is like to lose the love of your life. She reconnects with old friends, and makes new friends in the process.


"It's true that when someone you love dies, part of you dies, too. And then must be reborn. And many people were reborn, they suffered through their pain and emerged victorious: their love for the lost one revered but put away, their lives now open to a separate course. Others never did quite recover. I'd made a promise--many promises--to John to be among those who not only survived but thrived" (p.136)


When I read this book, I felt like I was looking into the life of an old friend. I really felt what Betta was feeling. She tried hard to keep going and do things that her husband John would have thought she should do. I was glad she got back in touch with her old friends.




3 comments:

  1. Wow. This sounds soooo good yet sooo sad. Does she get a happy ending?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this book. If you liked her style of writing you will probably enjoy her other works.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's what I love about Elizabeth Berg. If you ever get a chance to go to one of her readings/book signings - do it. She's lovely.

    ReplyDelete