Sunday, January 10, 2010

REVIEWS: The Devil Wears Prada, The Adoration of Jenna Fox, and Frostbite

The first book on the list is The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger

Andrea got a "dream job" at Runway Magazine. It wasn't exactly what she wanted to do. She wanted to be a writer, but she thought if she got her foot in the door, it would lead to better things. Miranda was her boss, but she definately was a bitch. She wanted Andrea to be at her beck and call at all times. Andrea could not leave her desk for a second and always had to be able to be contacted by Miranda. Her job did have perks. She got a lot of designer clothes and got a lot of fashion sense. Andrea's boyfriend didn't like all the hours that she had to put in though.

I gave this book 4 stars. I liked it, but it wasn't one of my most favorite books. What I liked about it was that Andrea was just a plain girl and trying to do everything she could to please Miranda, even though she seemed like nothing was ever good enough for her. I didn't like Miranda at all. I don't know if I could have stuck with Miranda after the way she treated her employees. I can just imagine how fashionable Andrea became after working at Runway, but she had to pay a price for some people that meant a lot to her.

I really thought about my life and my job, and it made me all the more thankful of how good I have it. I love my job. I don't have to be someone I am not, and I have a great boss. Also, somehow after reading this book, I have been organizing everything like crazy. At work I have been organizing and at home. I don't know if it was the book that prompted this or what it was, but it feels good!


Okay, next up is The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson

Jenna was in a terrible accident and was in a coma. She came out of the coma finally, but couldn't remember much about her life. Her parents had videotapes of her life, which they encouraged her to watch. She watched the videos and was on year ten. She saw a thin red line under her chin which was a scar. She went into the bathroom and looked, but she had no scar. She wondered if a scar could disappear in 7 years? She started to wonder what was really going on in her life and why she could remember some things and not others. It's amazing and scary what she ends up finding out about herself.

It makes me wonder if someday the details of this book may actually become a reality. I think sometimes technology just goes to far. Let people be who they are and don't try to mess with fate.

I gave this book 5 stars.

The last book for today is Frostbite, A Vampire Academy Novel by Richelle Mead

I bought the first book in this series and loved it, so I checked this second book out from the library. I liked this book even better and gave it 5 stars.

Rose just loves her tutor Dimitri, but he seems to have his eye on someone else. Her friend Mason has a crush on her, but she is just not sure if she feels the same way about him. There is a huge Strigoi attack and the students of St. Vladmir's have to go on a ski trip where they will be protected from the Strigoi. Three students decide to strike back against the Strigoi, and Rose and Christian go to try and rescue them and get in a lot of danger.

I really got into Rose's character, and really hoped that Dimitri would find out how much she really loved him. She really grew up a lot in this book.

Out of the three books, I have to say that this was my favorite. I read it all in one day.

2 comments:

  1. You are certainly reading like a crazy woman!! I loved each of your reviews and will have to read the vampire series one of these days. Totally agree with you in regards to Jenna Fox...creepy story!

    ReplyDelete