Sunday, December 20, 2009

The Christmas Reading Challenge:

The Christmas Reading Challenge:




  • will run from Thanksgiving Day, November 26 through New Year's Eve, December 31, 2009


  • you can choose 1 - 3 books...I know it seems a small amount, but it's a busy time of year and the challenge is only a little over a month.


  • These must be Christmas novels, books about Christmas lore or a book of Christmas short stories (sorry, no children's books, but YA novel is okay).
http://thetruebookaddict.blogspot.com/2009/10/christmas-reading-challenge.html

I know I am starting this challenge at the last minute, but I had to wait until I actually got my books from the library since they were on a long waiting list. So here they are:

My First Book is The Christmas Box by Richard Paul Evans:



This book was a fast read, but it had a lot of meaning. This is the story of a family who came to live with an elderly widow who needed a family to live in her house to prepare meals and do other things around the house. This family was living in a cramped apartment and really thought this would be a good opportunity. The family moved in with the widow, and the father found a Christmas Box in the attic filled with letters. He comes to find the true meaning of Christmas and what the letters really mean. It really makes you stop and think about the children in your life and how precious they are. Time is short and we should spend as much time with our children as we can.


The second book is Skipping Christmas by John Grisham:




This book was great. I watched the movie, but the book is better. Nora and Luther's daughter went into the Peace Corps and was not going to be around for Christmas, so they decided to save all the money that they usually spend on Christmas and go on a cruise instead. They ended up having a great Christmas and learned an important lesson about what Christmas is really about.



This is a touching story about what Christmas really means. It's not all about the gifts and parties, but it's about the time together and being with your family and friends.


The third and last book is The Gift by Richard Paul Evans

This was a great book, and I give it 5 starts out of 5. It was a very heartwarming story about Nathan Hurst. He met Addison and her 2 children in an airport. He ends up letting them stay in his hotel room because they don't have a place to stay and their flight has been cancelled until who knows when. Addison's son Collin has the ability to heal people. The Gift is not what I expected. The gift is not something you put under the tree, but rather something more than that. This is a great Christmas read, and I am so glad I checked this book out of the library.

2 comments:

  1. I'm participating in this one! I think I've read all of my books...now for the wrap up post.

    SO much to do...

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I had signed up I would already have completed it!! LOL...good luck!!

    ReplyDelete