Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Review of Dirty Little Angels by Chris Tusa


Dirty Little Angels


Set in the slums of New Orleans, among clusters of crack houses and abandoned buildings, Dirty Little Angels is the story of sixteen year old Hailey Trosclair. When the Trosclair family suffers a string of financial hardships and a miscarriage, Hailey finds herself looking to God to save her family. When her prayers go unanswered, Hailey puts her faith in Moses Watkins, a failed preacher and ex-con. Fascinated by Moses' lopsided view of religion, Hailey, and her brother Cyrus, begin spending time down at an abandoned bank that Moses plans to convert into a drive-through church. Gradually, though, Moses' twisted religious beliefs become increasingly more violent, and Hailey and Cyrus soon find themselves trapped in a world of danger and fear from which there may be no escape. 
Published March 30th 2009 by Livingston Press (AL)

I received the digital version of this book from the author.

What I liked about this book:
-          The characters really came to life for me.  I felt bad for Hailey.  She just had an awful family life and had to go through so much for a sixteen year old girl
-          The author didn’t sugar coat anything.  He told the story like it needed to be told.  At times it turned my stomach, but that really brought it to life.
-          Hailey would do anything to save her brother.  She was really a courageous girl.

What I didn’t like:
-          I really don’t care for reading digital books.  If I had a Kindle or something like that it might be different.  I just don’t spend that much time sitting at the computer reading.  It took me a while to get this book read and it’s hard to remember everything I’ve read.
-          I didn’t like Hailey’s mom.
It was an okay book


3 comments:

  1. I thought this was a fine book as well (I read it like you on a computer screen).
    Here is my review: http://manoflabook.com/wp/?p=60

    http://www.ManOfLaBook.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Kindle is the way to read it for sure. Can you download apps on your phone??? If so you could read books on that. I liked how you did this review!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked this book. My review is here. I was lucky enough to receive a paperback. I don't read e-books right now, as I don't have an e-reader or a suitable phone and refuse to read on a computer screen. Kudos for you for trying, though.

    ReplyDelete