Sunday, February 21, 2010

Review - White Oleander by Janet Fitch



Astrid is the daughter of Ingrid who is a single mother. Ingrid is afraid to get into a relationship, but she ends up falling for Barry. Things were going along fine, but all of a sudden, Barry stopped calling. Ingrid went to his house and found out he had another person he was dating.




Ingrid lost and and started stalking Barry. She broke into his house and wiped out his hard drive. He then came to her house and wanted to be let in but Ingrid wouldn't let him in. He broke a window pane and Ingrid stabbed his hand with a knife. Later, the police came by because of a complaint that Ingrid broken into Barry's house. She told the police officer that he tried to break into her house and that the neighbor called the police because of him.



All of a sudden Barry wanted a truce and for them to be friends. Ingrid took her daughter and went to Tijuana to buy DMSO from a pharmacy. Astrid asked what it was and found out that it is for arthritis, but also found out that it makes the body absorb drugs faster. Astrid had a feeling she knew why her mom got the DMSO. So she killed Barry and went to prison.


Astrid went from house to house and this is the story of her life and the good and bad people that she had to put up with and the relationship with her and her mom while her mom was in prison.


No matter where Astrid went, it seemed like everything always went wrong, but she always seemed to make the best of the situation. The people that she shared her life with seemed better for knowing her.


I didn't particularly like this book. I liked the basic story, but I didn't like the style of writing. I read this as a February pen pal book. If it wasn't for that, I don't know if I would have kept on reading it. I guess I will give it 2 stars out of 5.

1 comment:

  1. I can see how you didn't like this one. The writing was an issue for me initially too. But I guess after that, I was able to make myself go with the writing, and then it worked for me. It definitely is not an easy book.

    ReplyDelete